Market & Industry Research
GLOBE Advisors has deep expertise in conducting strategic market intelligence projects for both public and private sector companies. Previous projects have included a range of industries and sectors, although we specialize in market research related to innovative “clean” technologies that provide energy, resource, and process efficiency and improve overall productivity. We have defined a clean technology as falling into one of the following 10 sectors:
- Biofuels & Biochemicals (feedstocks, harvesting, conversion, production, biomass)
- Power Generation (alternative and renewable energy production including solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, fuel cells, tidal)
- Energy Infrastructure (management systems, infrastructure, storage, smart grid, distributed energy systems)
- Green Building & Energy Efficiency (buildings, architecture/design, products, technologies, materials)
- Process Efficiency & Abatement (nano- and bio-materials, pollution prevention, and emissions control, and other related environmental technologies)
- Remediation & Soil Treatment (contaminated sites, brownfield redevelopment, and other related environmental technologies)
- Transportation (zero- and low-emissions vehicles and ‘clean’ components, abatement, emissions reductions for moving vehicles)
- Recycling, Waste & Recovery (recycling, material handling and sorting, hazardous waste elimination, energy from waste, and other related environmental technologies)
- Water & Wastewater (purification, treatment, infrastructure, conservation, and other related environmental technologies)
- Agriculture & Food (anaerobic digestion, verti-crop farming, biological technology, value-added processing)
BENEFITS OF MARKET / INDUSTRY RESEARCH
- Understand the external and internal business environment through comprehensive analysis.
- Better understand the competitiveness of a particular sector before developing market penetration strategies.
- Determine the level of competition in a particular market and identify opportunities for successful technology integration.
- Identify the key players in a particular market and opportunities for collaborative partnerships.
- Gather market intelligence information that will help your organization plan ahead and overcome potential risks and challenges.
HOW GLOBE ADVISORS CAN HELP
- Conducting in-depth quantitative and qualitative market research through targeted surveys, focus groups, and key informant interviews.
- Conducting external market analysis using industry best practice tools and techniques including PESTLE, SWOT, 5-Forces, and other business assessment tools.
- Identifying niche through to major-scale market opportunities for a particular product, technology, or solution.
- Establishing a comprehensive list of key local and domestic competitors and potential partners active in the market in question.
- Providing strategic insights into the short and longer-term market trends and drivers for the market in question.
PROJECT SUCCESS STORY
In 2011, the Department of Innovation, Trade, and Rural Development (INTRD) and the Office of Climate Change, Energy Efficiency, and Emissions Trading (OCCEEET) with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) engaged GLOBE Advisors, in partnership with AMEC Earth & Environmental in St. John’s, to carry out a study to identify the economic development opportunities associated with the green economy for NL. The report that was produced provided a comprehensive analysis of the current and potential future green economy opportunities in Newfoundland.
Work for this study included:
- A detailed analysis of current establishment counts and employment associated with green economy activities in NL using Statistics Canada datasets in combination with a wide range of reports, directories, and other data published by generally accepted sources;
- A review of the facts and trends for each sector based on the Government of NL’s reports and datasets, along with specialized reports from GLOBE’s extensive reference database;
- A review of global developments and outlooks for each sector, drawing on extensive reference materials and a database of more than 400 reports on the green economy;
- Consultations with more than 75 key stakeholders from various organizations (business, government, NGOs, industry associations, and academia) through in-depth interviews to determine perceived strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for green economy activities. The consultative process also included two focus group meetings held in St. John’s;
- A review of current labour market trends in NL, as well as labour demand and supply related to the green economy – including a review of relevant post-secondary education and training programs that exist in the province; and
- An analysis of NL’s trade in green commodities for the period 2001 to 2010 using Statistics Canada trade data.